Re: Devanagari

From: Michael Forgey (forgey@bigfoot.com)
Date: Thu Nov 05 1998 - 14:15:15 EST

At 09:56 AM 11/5/98 -0800, John Jenkins wrote:

>On the Macintosh, you don't need user space characters to represent the
>ligatures. AAT tables are added to the TrueType font which are
>automatically invoked to generate whatever ligatures you need.
>
>A fundamental assumption of the Unicode character-glyph model is that there
>is a distinction made between the character space used in the backing store
>and the glyph space used for rendering and a mapping process going between
>them. There should be no requirement that every potential glyph in a script
>correspond directly to a character.

Yes, I agree with that. In the case I was discussing, I believe it is a
limitation of the Truetype technology on Windows that makes it necessary
for every glyph in the font to have a unique Unicode value. But I might be
wrong about that. You mention on Macintosh AAT tables can be added. I don't
know if that can be done on Windows.

I have not worked with Truetype Open fonts yet; but I expect that Truetype
Open will probably improve things regarding this and other rendering issues.

Michael Forgey
2201 W. William Cannon Dr. #224
Austin, TX 78745 USA
tel: (512) 441-7390 fax: (512) 441-7742