Re: Fixing Two Unicode Asymmetries in case conversion

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Nov 13 1998 - 22:01:49 EST

> But I am a bit surprised that SHARP S does not have "ss" as a compatibility
> decomposition, since it *is* acceptable to use "ss" when SHARP S
> is not available.

Compatibility decompositions aren't necessarily meant to cover everything
that a character might be considered equivalent to.

We also don't give a compatibility decomposition of "ae" for U+00E6 LATIN
SMALL LETTER AE, even though for sorting in many languages it is treated
equivalent to "a+e", just as SHARP S is treated as equivalent to
a modified "s+s".

--Ken