Re: Vindication in syndication (sharp s)

From: John Cowan (
Date: Tue Nov 24 1998 - 12:36:55 EST

Markus Kuhn wrote:

> If Germans want to emphasise some text, they use bold or italics,
> underline it, use red color or a larger font, but practically *never*
> set it in all capital letters.

What about interspersing s p a c e s into the emphasized word? Is
that still done? When I learned to type German manuscripts,
I was told to use this convention.

> As someone grown up in Germany, I find
> all-caps text more difficult to read than the normal spelling.

That is also true for anglophones, as many objective tests have
established. See the Jargon File (
s.v. "Great Runes", for why Teletypes used only capital letters.

John Cowan