Re: Linux & Unicode

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen (agulbra@troll.no)
Date: Thu Dec 03 1998 - 21:26:06 EST

Hm. I seem to have posted more in the past two days than in the year
before. I hope I'm not overdoing it.

nelson@media.mit.edu (Nelson Minar)
> "Glen" <GPerkins+uaa@memwizard.com> writes:
> >I haven't had much luck and don't see much enthusiasm for Unicode in
> >the Linux community.
>
> Is this a problem of Linux? Or is it a problem of Unicode? Or both?

Or could it possibly be a problem of the people who spend their days
posting to usenet and slashdot?

> What would really help the Linux community move to Unicode is if some
> Unicode people got involved, helped the Linux developers figure out
> the right path to integrating Unicode support into the system. Linux
> is an international OS - if you sell it right, make it clear what
> needs to happen and why it is interesting - then it will happen.

Helpfully telling people what they should do in their spare time?

You know, you wouldn't be the first. Back when I wrote some free
stuff, I developed remarkable skill at detecting certain kinds of
mail: My fingers would delete a "you should" message almost before I
read the first sentence.

> I also think "low" approaches to getting the basics of Unicode support
> are a good idea to get people started. For instance, I think there's
> real value in Roman Czyborra's work on producing a simple Unicode font
> for X11 (http://czyborra.com/unifont/). Sure, this doesn't solve the
> problem, but it puts the shape of the problem in people's heads, and
> appeals to hackers.

Now, THIS is a good idea. Also Markus Kuhn's similar work. IMO, it
does indeed solve a real problem: There aren't enough fonts available.
And when there is a solution for one problem, people will built on it
to solve the problems that it makes more tractable.

> Finally, all is not lost. Java and Perl are both well on their way to
> doing Unicode for real. I think it's mostly the C programmers that are
> being left behind.

Agreed.

--Arnt (C++)