Re: Dynamic shaping/composition of glyphs and Korean Hangul

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@pantheon.yale.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 25 1998 - 08:11:32 EST

On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, John Jenkins wrote:

> > How about MacOS 8.5? In the early days of "Korean" MacOS(in late
> >80's), Apple(or its Korean partner) played around similar idea, but
> >later that seems to have gone. I hope Mac OS 8.5 and ATSUI(?, QuickDraw
> >GX?) are flexible enough to have room for handling Korean Hangul this
> >way.
> >

> ATSUI/QuickDraw GX can display Korean through either model available in
> Unicode.

  I think my question was more than whether or not ATSUI/QuickDrawGX can
handle Hangul represented with Hangul Combining Jamos at U1100-U11FF.
More important is how it does. Does it support "many to many"(m to
n) character(s) -> glyph(s) mapping model based on context? In other
words, I'm wondering if it has an API function which returns a
"string"(ordered set) of glyph indices given a string of
characters(text) and a font(or fonts) to use for displaying that text
and if it has an easy-to-use mechanism to allow addition of such
functions(for fonts and character encodings not previously known). An
example of this is offered by Sun's JDK for X11(user-defined
character(s) to glyph indices mapping function can be specified in
font.properties file).

  In summary, does it offer f1 and f2 as well as f3? Your answer assured
me that f3 is available in ATSUI/QuickDraw GX, but it's not clear to
me if it also offers f1 and f2.

   f1: (C1,C2,...,Cm) --> (G1,G2,....,Gn)
   f2: C --> (G1,G2,....,Gn)
   f3: (C1,C2,...,Cm) --> G

   As for Adobe's CID-keyed font, it doesn't seem to allow mapping of an
ordered set of characters to an ordered set of glyph indices(i.e. f1 and
f2) although it's debatable whether it's desirable that f1 and f2 be
offered via CID-key mechanism.

     Jungshik Shin