Very big Egyptian proposal

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Mon Jan 11 1999 - 08:29:04 EST

Dear colleagues,

After about a year, I finished SC2/WG2 N1944, "Encoding Egyptian
Hieroglyphs in Plane 1 of the UCS", two days ago, on my birthday. :-) It's
the biggest document I've ever made for the UCS (a ca. 3.5MB PDF file).
Keld will be putting it up on the WG2 server, but in the meantime it is now
available at http:/www.indigo.ie/egt/standards/iso10646/pdf/n1944.pdf. The
proposal contains 761 Basic Egyptian Hieroglyphs, 40 Alternate Format
characters, and 4548 Extended Egyptian Hieroglyphs, for a grand total of
5349 characters. Now I know how the IRG feels.

Timothy Partridge sent comments on the Alternate Format characters as
described in N1636. These comments are architectural, and since we will
need further discussion on them, I have not included them in this version
(which is mostly to get the repertoire out), and they are more or less the
same as in N1636.

It's a BIG file. There are a LOT of embedded fonts. My printer doesn't have
so much memory, so I have to send pages to it in batches.

Have fun,

--
Michael Everson, Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478-2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478-2597 (by arrangement)