Re: [long] Use of Unicode in AbiWord

From: Alain LaBont\i\ (alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca)
Date: Tue Mar 23 1999 - 07:42:42 EST

A 10:42 99-03-23 +0000, Joerg Knappen a écrit :
>Alain LaBonte schrieb:
>> Try to filter non-ASCII from French and messages are unreadable at best,
>> even if about 97% of characters are indeed ASCII (statistics on some
>> corpuses I have)... but the 3% remaining is highly relevant, do not forget
>> to mention, and essential.
>
>Provocative thought: How much of the filtered information can be restored by
>a decent spell-checker (in the worst case: Non-ASCII-characters are just
>discarded and not replaced by something more or less insensible) ?

[Alain] Due to numerous occurrences of passive past participles which only
diffre by one accent from the active form, French is much less correctible
by pure spell-checkers than many other languages. Grammar involving accents
is more important than mere spelling in French. I have no statistics, but I
know perfectly well the insuccess of spell-checkers in French and I know
that the nature of accents in French is more grammatical than phonetic.

Alain LaBonté
Québec