fun: Out of Luck, learn a foreign language

From: Hart, Edwin F. (Edwin.Hart@jhuapl.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 31 1999 - 10:46:49 EST

I think we are at the point of "beating a dead horse".

Enclosed is the joke with the corrections except the one from Mark Davis
because the Swiss German question is less recognizable to me. Sorry Mark.

I wonder which code page Exchange will use for this. My guess is the
Windows code page to get the typographic quotes rather than UTF-8. However,
please don't tell me!

Ed

Edwin F. Hart
Applied Physics Laboratory
11100 Johns Hopkins Road
Laurel, MD 20723-6099
+1-240-228-6926 (from Washington, DC area)
+1-443-778-6926 (from Baltimore area)
+1-240-228-1093 (fax)
edwin.hart@jhuapl.edu <mailto:edwin.hart@jhuapl.edu>

Out of Luck

A Swiss guy, looking for directions, pulls up at a bus stop where two
Americans are waiting.

"Entschuldigung, sprechen Sie Deutsch?" he says.
The two Americans just stare at him.

« Excusez-moi, parlez-vous français ? »
The two continue to stare.

"Parlare italiano?"
No response.

"¿Hablan ustedes español?"
Still nothing.

The Swiss guy drives off, extremely disgusted.

The first American turns to the second and says, "Y'know, maybe we should
learn a foreign language."

"Why?" says the other, "That guy knew four languages, and it didn't do him
any good."