fun: Out of Luck, learn a foreign language

From: Hart, Edwin F. (Edwin.Hart@jhuapl.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 31 1999 - 10:46:49 EST

I think we are at the point of "beating a dead horse".

Enclosed is the joke with the corrections except the one from Mark Davis
because the Swiss German question is less recognizable to me. Sorry Mark.

I wonder which code page Exchange will use for this. My guess is the
Windows code page to get the typographic quotes rather than UTF-8. However,
please don't tell me!

Ed

Edwin F. Hart
Applied Physics Laboratory
11100 Johns Hopkins Road
Laurel, MD 20723-6099
+1-240-228-6926 (from Washington, DC area)
+1-443-778-6926 (from Baltimore area)
+1-240-228-1093 (fax)
edwin.hart@jhuapl.edu <mailto:edwin.hart@jhuapl.edu>

Out of Luck

A Swiss guy, looking for directions, pulls up at a bus stop where two
Americans are waiting.

"Entschuldigung, sprechen Sie Deutsch?" he says.
The two Americans just stare at him.

ź Excusez-moi, parlez-vous franšais ? ╗
The two continue to stare.

"Parlare italiano?"
No response.

"┐Hablan ustedes espa˝ol?"
Still nothing.

The Swiss guy drives off, extremely disgusted.

The first American turns to the second and says, "Y'know, maybe we should
learn a foreign language."

"Why?" says the other, "That guy knew four languages, and it didn't do him
any good."