Re: [Proposal] Extended UTF-16 by using Plane 14

From: Masahiko Maedera (masahiko.maedera@nifty.ne.jp)
Date: Mon Apr 12 1999 - 22:59:09 EDT

Dear, Mr.Geoffrey Waigh,

  Thank you for your comment.

>>that utilize areas outside the BMP receive final approval. Until we
>>start to put a dent into the UTF-16 covered regions, it seems
>>premature to worry about how UTF-16 based platforms will deal with
>>the issue.

  Maybe it is true.

>>However for those people, I suggest using UCS-4 because
>>the point of using UTF-16 over UTF-8 is for processing
>>simplicity.

  In Japan and Taiwan,
  some groups already collect about 100,000 Han characters.
  They start to inspect the Private Use Plane (Plane 15, Plane 16).
  For example,
  they use Perl based on UTF-8 and some text editor base on UTF-16.
  They have anxiety that they collect over 128K Han characters in future,
  because they don't have enough skill to construct UCS-4 libraries.
  I am anxious about them.

Best regards,
  Masahiko Maedera.