Re: Language codes for Chinese

From: Joan Aliprand (BR.JMA@rlg.org)
Date: Thu May 06 1999 - 14:02:37 EDT

This query from Lilly-Anne Wilder was posted to the "unicode" list.

> > I am in need of ISO language codes for Chinese 'Simplified' and Chinese
> > 'Traditional'.
> > Our publications department prints manuals in both of these languages
> and
> > we
> > are trying to find corresponding language codes.
> >
> > I have found two codes for Chinese from
> > http://lcweb.loc.gov/marc/languages/, but we cannot discern from the
> > information supplied by the Library of Congress if they correspond to
> the
> > two versions of Chinese.
> >
> > Achinese [ace]
> > UF Atjeh
> > Acholi
> > USE Acoli
> > Achuale
> > USE Achuar
> >
> > or
> >
> > Chinese [chi]
> > Chingpaw
> > USE Kachin

The Library of Congress list gives codes for languages. It does not
encode how a particular language is written. So Chinese, whether
written with traditional characters or simplified ones, is encoded
as "chi" using this list.

Achinese is a language spoken in Sumatra. (Information from the
very useful Ethnologue database, http://www.sil.org/ethnologue/)

The US library community does not have any codes to distinguish
between traditional and simplified forms of written Chinese.

-- Joan Aliprand
   Research Libraries Group

To: UNICODE@UNICODE.ORG