Re: Internationalization--the next generation

From: Daniel Biddle (deltab@ps.cus.umist.ac.uk)
Date: Wed May 26 1999 - 15:22:19 EDT

On Wed, 26 May 1999, Suzanne Topping wrote:

:
> (Now I finally get to my theory and question). Could it be that the next
> stage of internationalization evolution will be to modularize the
> development a step further, to allow for changes in metaphors, colors,
> button locations, etc?

Mozilla (the open source version of Netscape Navigator/Communicator) is
already doing that. Mozilla's new user interface is written in an
HTML-like notation called XUL, which allows anyone to make radical changes
to the user interface. The application of this that currently gets most
attention is for 'theming' the browser, to brand it for a particular site
or company for instance, but it could easily also be used to adapt the
user interface for different cultures.

You can find more about XUL at http://www.mozilla.org/xpfe/ .

--
Daniel Biddle