Re: UTF-7 is dead

From: Geoffrey Waigh (anzu@home.com)
Date: Wed May 26 1999 - 15:40:39 EDT

Daniel Biddle wrote:

> I can't see any reason why any message should be sent without MIME
> headers, since 8bit can be used if quoted-printable and base64 are
> objectionable. (Unless, of course, the sender cannot handle MIME.)

Because it seems that there are a number of mail agents that handle
MIME in an awkward fashion. While integrating our software with
a third party system, I noticed that going through their mail delivery
API forced the message to be MIMEd without option otherwise. At the
time I thought this annoying but not too serious. Then when it was
deployed customer service received complaints about our official
communications appearing as empty messages with just an attachment.
Some customers have a fear of clicking on attachments to see what
is inside owing to the dangers of various command interpreter
invoking schemes related to them.

Geoffrey Waigh