Re: Questions about proposed characters

From: G. Adam Stanislav (adam@whizkidtech.net)
Date: Sun May 30 1999 - 10:53:55 EDT

At 05:07 30-05-1999 -0700, Michael Everson wrote:
>Curtis, Asmus Freytag and I have taken an interest in symbols such as you
>list and are collecting a bucket of them to be proposed. We'd need the
>usual proofs of existence and so on; on my web site as you know there are
>lots of samples of what's needed. You might want to liaise with Asmus and
>me to further these symbols.

Might I get you interested in another one? It is not a symbol but a digraph
which would fit nicely into the few empty spaces of the U+0180 page. This
page contains (among other things) digraphs, such as dz, lj, nj.

My native language, Slovak, uses the digraph "ch", yet I cannot find it
anywhere in the Unicode standard. Ch, as used in Slovak (and, I believe, in
Czech), is not just two characters typed after each other. It is a separate
character. It is pronounced similar to Greek chi, or the Cyrillic character
that looks like Roman x.

It is also lexicographically distinct. In Slovak dictionaries, the letter
ch follows the letter h, and precedes the letter i. So, for example, if a
computer program sorted a list of Slovak words working on the assumption
that any occurence of "ch" is just a "c" followed by an "h", it would sort
it incorrectly.

Do I have any samples of its use? No, not here in the US. But a look into
any Slovak dictionary will clearly indicate that "ch" is a separate letter
and a separate lexicographic unit.

Slovak is the official language of the five million people living in the
country of Slovakia. It is also spoken by about 2-3 million Slovaks living
outside of Slovakia.

It is capitalized as CH, and the title version is Ch. It would fit in the
positions of U+01F6 - U+01F8, which are currently unassigned, at least
according to http://charts.unicode.org/Unicode.charts/normal/U0180.html .

Adam

---
Visit Count Gracula's Gallery: