Re: Internationalization--Standard Conventions

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Sun May 30 1999 - 12:41:35 EDT

Herbert Elbrecht scripsit:

> > It would all be so easy if France, US, Canada, etc. would finally adopt
> > the 0 and 00 as their area code and country code introducers as it is
> > the international recommendation (ITU-T E.163), instead of complaining
> > that the bloody Europeans still have non-standard phone numbers (which
> > as shown is not true!).

The dial-0-for-operator (0perator?) is too deeply ingrained, IMHO.
First get rid of the U.S. customary mensuration system, then worry about phone
dialing conventions. (At least we have gotten rid of 1+local number
for toll calls within a given NPA=area code=city code).

--
John Cowan					cowan@ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.