Re: Questions about proposed characters

From: Alain LaBont\i\ (alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca)
Date: Sun May 30 1999 - 17:01:35 EDT

A 10:42 99-05-30 -0700, John Cowan a écrit :
>G. Adam Stanislav scripsit:
>> My native language, Slovak, uses the digraph "ch", [...].
>> It is also lexicographically distinct. In Slovak dictionaries, the letter
>> ch follows the letter h, and precedes the letter i. So, for example, if a
>> computer program sorted a list of Slovak words working on the assumption
>> that any occurence of "ch" is just a "c" followed by an "h", it would sort
>> it incorrectly.

[John]
>Spanish follows exactly the same rules. Lexicographic ordering problems
>cannot be solved in general by introducing new characters, but require
>other methods. See http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr10 .

[Alain] The council of the Spanish language decided some years ago thta
"ch" and "ll" are no longer considered single letters but are separate
sort-wise.

  If I had been a Spaniard I would have objected as they could not care
less with people's habits. They did it in thinking that their language
would be better adapted to computers... I believe that computers hsould
adapt to people, not the reverse. But I am probably too much old-fashioned.

Alain LaBonté
Québec