RE: Internationalization--Phone Number Writing Conventions

From: Hohberger, Clive P. (CPHOHBER@zebra.com)
Date: Mon May 31 1999 - 14:05:42 EDT

Herman,

This is a brilliant example of an ISO "academic standard" It looks
nice on paper, but doesn't meet peoples' real needs.

But HUNDREDS of well-run tests have shown that most people
have trouble remembering single strings of more than 4 or 5 digits.
However, they can remember multiple sequential short digit strings

That why phone companies all over the world break their numbers
in to smaller groups of digits with spaces, dashes etc.

I guess it depends on "What's your objective?" Is it to have your
phone number remembered or comply with an ISO standard?

I remain + 1 847 793 2740
Clive