Re: Hebrew: glyphs vs. codepoints

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Tue Jun 01 1999 - 07:19:44 EDT

There is another question that needs to be asked in this discussion: how should
the "right holem" and "left holem" be encoded. I'd like to see both Jony and
Arno answer this question for the set of examples Arno provided:

>The left holam is
a) written on the left of the letter, and
b) informs the reader that the letter _on which it sits_
   is spoken with /o/:
Bo'i (here and always the capital letter has the holam)
Aoax ("A" stands for alef - here silent)
Aotem ( " " " ; with tet)
mitsWot
SHomer
caWon ("c" stands for ain)
Sone
maAos (with samex)

>The right holam is
a) written on the right of the letter, and
b) informs the reader that the _preceding_ letter
   is spoken with /o/:
roAsh
moSHe
coSe
yirpoS
tsoAn

My question is this: I assume left holem is stored (in logical order) after the
character visually to the right; i.e. Aoax is stored as

Aoax

But what about the right holem? Which of the following is how roAsh would be
stored?

roAsh
rAosh

Since Jony has said the choice of left or right side is "a matter of taste",
that makes it sound to me like he would suggest the latter. Jony, is that right?
I'm not sure how I think Arno might answer this.

Peter