FW: Reference to UTF-8 <-> UCS-2 code in a MS KB

From: Magda Danish (Unicode) (v-magdad@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Jun 03 1999 - 14:17:00 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Bart Duncan [mailto:bartd@microsoft.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 1999 11:55 AM
To: 'info@unicode.org'
Subject: Reference to UTF-8 <-> UCS-2 code in a MS KB

The email contacts for the UCS<->UTF conversion code at
ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/PROGRAMS/CVTUTF/readme.txt are no longer valid.
Is there anyone responsible for fielding inquiries into links to this code
in other documents? If Mark Davis/David Goldsmith are still valid contacts,
what are their current email addresses (Taligent has been dissolved)?

I'm a SQL Server Support engineer at Microsoft, and have fielded several
requests from customers looking to store UTF-8 encoded data in SQL Server
7.0 (which only supports UCS-2); these are generally for web-based
applications. One of the possible solutions I have been suggesting is to do
the conversion to/from UCS-2 within their app, and have directed people
toward the code at ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/PROGRAMS/CVTUTF/ for some
guidance in this area.

I'm considering a brief public MS Knowledge Base article on the options
here, one of which would be the type of conversion that the code
illustrates. My questions:

1. Would you object to a reference to this code in the article?
2. Also, is there anything else I should be aware of (special
considerations, caveats, other recommended resources, etc)?

Thank you!
Bart
Bart Duncan, MCSE
Microsoft SQL Server Support