Re: Hexadecimal in many scripts (ISO 14755)

From: Markus Kuhn (Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 04 1999 - 16:06:08 EDT

"James E. Agenbroad" wrote on 1999-06-04 15:13 UTC:
> If those who use Arabic, Thai or other scripts used the first six letters
> of their respective alphabet instead of A-F to input hex numbers,
> shouldn't they also be enabled to use their style of 0-9? (Not having a
> zero of its own, I guess Tamil would use U+0030.)

Sure, fully agreed, but then there are no X11 keysym values assigned to
alternative digits yet, therefore I have not yet to worry about them at
the moment.

"Jonathan Rosenne" wrote on 1999-06-04 15:12 UTC:
> This has not been discussed, but the convention in Hebrew
> is to use the Latin A to F.

The question is mainly what to do if you have keyboards that have no
Latin keys. If all keyboards that are ever connected to an X terminal
are guaranteed to always have an ASCII entry mode, then I am wasting my
time, because the most user-friendly way of entering hex digits will be
to just go the ASCII way. But since it costs almost nothing to support
alternative ASCII digits for non-Latin keyboards, then it is a fun
exercise to take i18n to extremes and support Hebrew hex digits as well.
Well, Hebrew is dangerous, because they might write them backwards ...
Well, the non-Latin hex digit support idea wasn't mine, but that of the
ISO 14755 authors.

Markus