Re: Hexadecimal in many scripts (ISO 14755)

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Fri Jun 04 1999 - 20:15:18 EDT

Alain, OK, I guess I made a leap.

I thought the characters might be echoed somewhere as the string is
built up, to
confirm for the user what is being accepted, like an Asian input method.

I would also think the user might want a document somewhere expressing
character
to encoding maps, using the characters to be typed, as opposed to the
latin letters.

I will stop short of suggesting that we also need to map U to the 21st
letter of every alphabet so we can
reference natively, unicode characters equivalent to U+1234. (Could be
big trouble for the Hawaiians!) ;-)

tex

"Alain LaBonté " wrote:

> A 15:57 99-06-04 -0400, Tex Texin a écrit :
> >OK, but if I write hex 1234 with arabic digits, is it 1,234 or 4,321
> >(base 16 of course)?
>
> As we are talking about input method (and not about display nor output), it
> is in the order of entry on the particular user keyboard.
>
> Alain LaBonté
> Québec

Tex Texin                      Director, International Products

Progress Software Corp.        Voice:         +1-781-280-4271
14 Oak Park                      Fax:         +1-781-280-4949
Bedford, MA 01730  USA             texin@bedford.progress.com