RE: Hexadecimal in many scripts (ISO 14755)

From: Addison Phillips (AddisonP@simultrans.com)
Date: Sat Jun 05 1999 - 11:28:48 EDT

Michael's right: Mac's have had excellent support in the input area (via language kits and installable keyboards) for many years now.

In addition, Windows 9x and NT already switches keyboards (you can install more than one) at the touch of a key. Win2K has the ability to switch keyboards INCLUDING IMEs...

This is a much better method than typing in "other" character than typing Unicode values or CharMap hunt-and-hunt-and-peck. There are scripts (notably Indic scripts) that don't have associated or suitable keyboards available, but this could be rectified.

There are also "compose" utilities (I use one called Accent Composer http://www.kovcomp.co.uk/) with my EN_US keyboard to type Latin-1 extended characters (without having to type in a four digit number or turn the Num Lock on my laptop on and off... a real nightmare for a touch typist)

Addison

        Addison Phillips
        Director, Globalization Services
        SimulTrans, L.L.C.