Re: Hexadecimal in many scripts (ISO 14755)

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Sat Jun 05 1999 - 22:45:13 EDT

Peter C. observes:

>>But consider the use cases:
>
> <typing along happily in Arabic>
> <need a U+2323>
> <switch to Latin keyboard>
> <enable magic Unicode mode>
> <type "2 3 2 3">
> <disable magic Unicode mode>
> <switch to Arabic keyboard>
> <try to recover train of thought>
>
> And just how many people are likely to remember what U+2323 is?

Well, I sure as heck don't. And I'm too lazy it dig out my copy of the
standard or look it up.

Anything which requires people to remember an arcane four-digit code to
input *any* character is ridiculous. The Mac has long had the ability to
support multiple and -- in theory -- user-definable keyboards. I believe
Windows has similar capacity. The correct approach is to provide more
well-designed keyboards and input methods, not require users to remember
silly codes.

And don't you mean U+263A WHITE SMILING FACE instead of U+2323 SMILE?

=====
John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com
tseng@blueneptune.com