RE: Hexadecimal in many scripts (ISO 14755)

From: Addison Phillips (AddisonP@simultrans.com)
Date: Sun Jun 06 1999 - 17:35:09 EDT

Thanks for the response.

Seems like this is something our dominant operating system vendors should work on improving. The proposed standard looks klutzy, but a good UI design could fix most of the existing/potential problems. Once upon a time I had memorized most of the upper 128 of code page 1252 and could almost type as fast using Alt+xxx as a translator could. ::sigh::

Having composable key sequences means I'm not wasting brain cells on this garbage, but that's not going to work for Devanigari or Japanese. I agree with Markus Kuhn that hex entry is absolutely required SOMEWHERE, but as the default it stinks.

If this model is going to be upgraded for Unicode support, then the variety of issues raised in this thread come into play. Ideally our major OS vendors will get to work on it. Otherwise, I guess there's an opportunity for shareware artists to make another $10 from me. /u2323

Addison

PS> With regard to your comments below, I think:

1. We're still going to end up having to hit the <switch keyboard> macro to activate this input mode, since IMEs and applications seem to have multiply overloaded the various keys available on most platforms.
2. The naming list thing is going to be a problem, since the standard defines the official names as ASCII "English" names ONLY. Transliteration only works if you know the mapping.
3. You're right, as an IME this is pretty simple stuff.
4. CM is useless and needs a replacement. KeyCaps I mentioned as something that could be adapted (currently, as you point out, it's tied to the active keyboard).
5. Clearly you've thought through this carefully. What OS was it that this was applied in?