RE: Some thoughts on character decomposition

From: Tom Emerson (Tree@basistech.com)
Date: Mon Jun 07 1999 - 15:18:09 EDT

John Cowan wrote:
>h, I see. IOW, a window into which URLs can be pasted should
>eject non-ASCII characters, or perhaps ask if they should be
>e-encoded.

It is not uncommon to see URLs in the CJK locales containing characters in
their local encodings, e.g. Shift JIS. As UTF-8 becomes more common as a
content encoding you will see URLs with UTF-8 values in them. What I'm
trying to get at is you do not want your browser munging the URLs and
putting restrictions on their content which, while obeying the letter of the
specifications, do not reflect reality.

        -tre

Language Hacker                                    http://www.basistech.com