Re: Unicode mapping table need help

From: Markus Kuhn (Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jun 08 1999 - 05:48:23 EDT

Yung-Fong Tang wrote on 1999-06-07 21:58 UTC:
> Anyone have the Unicode mapping in the format as those in
> ftp://ftp.unicode.org for the following charsets ?
>
> ISO-8859-10
> ISO-8859-13

Follow below. Also ISO 8859 parts 11, 14 and 15. I am hereby donating
these to the Unicode consortium, so feel free to check them and then
upload them to the ftp site. (Please increase the version number to 1.0
then.)

I am fairly confident that the part 14 and 15 tables are correct,
because these were matched by software against the PDF files of the ISO
standards. (Which led to a discovery of an (obvious) typo in the new ISO
8859-14/15 standards. :-) The other tables are best effort quality.

But as people start using UTF-8 now, supporting the more recent ISO 8859
political correctness extensions will just add user confusion. More
options -> more confusion. Make your users happy by *not* supporting all
the latest ISO 8859 hacks and instead encourage your users to settle on
Unicode and UTF-8. A broad migration from ISO 8859-1 to ISO 8859-15 is
*NOT* what will help us in eventually migrating to ISO 10646, and should
therefore not be encouraged in any way. If you have to support ISO
8859-15 for any regulatory reasons, please sabotage it as well as you
can, just like the X Consortium did so nicely in X11R6.4.

I believe that the only ISO 8859 parts that were ever widely used are
1,2,5,7,8. Support for all the rest may safely be dumped and offering
UTF-8 instead means to really satisfying user needs.

Markus