Re: Unicode mapping table need help

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Tue Jun 08 1999 - 07:19:57 EDT

Ar 02:43 -0700 1999-06-08, scríobh Markus Kuhn:

>I believe that the only ISO 8859 parts that were ever widely used are
>1,2,5,7,8. Support for all the rest may safely be dumped and offering
>UTF-8 instead means to really satisfying user needs.

Part 13 has official status in Latvia and Lithuania. Part 14 has rather
specialized usage with regard to its Irish characters, but the new Welsh
Assembly has been beginning to work to ensure that Welsh characters
(accented W and Y) are adequately supported, where they have not been in
the past. Part 15 has been adopted by Estonia, I believe, and certainly
meets Finland's needs, not to mention the fact that it fully supports
French and is the only part of 8859 with the euro sign in it.

The ISO/IEC set of standards may be referenced in public procurement where
local rules specify the use of standards. It is, in my view, a bit
irresponsible for Markus to make such a sweeping statement about whether
international standards can be "safely dumped".

--
Michael Everson, Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478-2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478-2597 (by arrangement)