Re: Standardizing function keys on a keyboard

From: Alain LaBont\i\ (alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca)
Date: Tue Jun 08 1999 - 09:12:52 EDT

A 04:30 99-06-08 -0700, Michael Everson a écrit :
>Ar 12:03 -0700 1999-06-07, scríobh Alain:
>
>>Concerning the numeric keypad, there are 3 general layouts: 789 disposition
>>(most PCs), 123 layout (most telephones and telematic terminals plus
>>automated teller machines) and now the fallbacks on portables... The
>>placement of the zero also allows many variations just to avoid controversy.

[Michael]
>I was interested to learn that in Norway the phones (at least some of them)
>have the same 789 layout that PCs do. It was interesting, as a creature of
>habit, to have to adapt to to using the phone layout, though of course I'm
>used to the PC keypad. Context is much.

[Alain] It is also in the same vein interesting to note that the Neuville
keyboard in France has an option to have a 123 layout instead of a 789
layout on a PC keyboard (and the most recent versions of the drivers make
this changeable by the user at will -- if you switch keycaps, the change is
total).

Alain LaBonté
Québec