Re: New German orthography

From: Markus Kuhn (Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 21 1999 - 17:49:07 EDT

"A. Vine" wrote on 1999-06-21 19:51 UTC:
> My understanding is that German "backen" is hyphenated as "bak-ken". I am not
> familiar with the new German orthography, though, so maybe I have old
> information.

Since 1998-08-01, the new German orthography has been officially in
force in the schools of Germany, Austria, Switzerland and a few other
countries. German-speaking countries traditionally modernize their
school orthography every 100 years. It takes around 5-10 years each time
until the reform has migrated fully from school usage into the common
literature. The new rules finally got rid of the ugly hyphenation of ck
as k-k, which I considered already rather odd and baroque when I was
first exposed to it in elementary school. The new rules also got rid of
a lot of other historic crap such as the old ban on hyphenating st
(Wes-pe, but not Wes-te).

Markus