Re: Umlaut and diaeresis

From: Keld J|rn Simonsen (keld@dkuug.dk)
Date: Wed Jun 23 1999 - 13:32:17 EDT

On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 04:59:19AM -0700, Lars Henrik Mathiesen wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 11:09:28 +0200
> > From: Keld J|rn Simonsen <keld@dkuug.dk>
>
> > It is not Danish Stnadards, but Dansk Sprognaevn. And it is approved
> > by the parliament. Vote for some other representatives to parliament
> > next time, Lars.
>
> Go read the thing, Keld. According to the preface to the Danish
> Orthographic Dictionary (Retskrivningsordbogen), its publication is
> part of the duties of the Danish Language Council (Dansk Sprognævn),
> which was set up by a circular from the Ministry of Education in 1955
> (i.e., signed by the Minister, but not voted on in Parliament). And
> the normative force for use in schools and official correspondence of
> the latest edition at any given time was established by a circular in
> 1892. No MP has ever been asked to vote to approve or disapprove any
> particular edition.

Anyway it was approved by parliament, not as a law, but as
the book itself. I do not have a reference to that decison, but
I was astonished when they did it.

> And anyway, the sorting rules make explicit reference to Danish
> Standards DS 377, 3rd edition 1980. The inclusion of the rules in the
> orthographic dictionary does not mean that the Language Council
> invented them, and I assume they would have followed any other rule
> that DS might have made.

The "aa" rule was also in the old "Retskrivningsordbogen" from 1955
- it was not invented by DS 377.

Keld Jørn Simonsen, keld@dkuug.dk
DKUUG, Fruebjergvej 3, DK-2100 København Ø, Danmark