Re: US cultural conventions

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Sun Jun 27 1999 - 15:42:02 EDT

Frank Sledge scripsit:

> I prefer the traditional units because they refer to
> things rooted in human reality. My foot is about
> and a pint of water weighs about a pound.

And a liter of water weighs a kilogram. Anyhow, it is only
the U.S. pint that weighs a pound: the Imperial pint weighs
1 1/4 pounds more or less.

> Meters, grams and liters are just nerdy abstractions
> with no connection to human experience -- which is,
> I suspect, why geeks prefer them.

So all the rest of the world outside the U.S. is Planet Geekia.
Get real.

I withdraw my remark about "preaching to the converted".

       I am a member of a civilization. --David Brin