Unicode fonts & html browsers

From: Ricardo Bermell-Benet (rbermell@aimplas.es)
Date: Mon Jun 28 1999 - 05:34:47 EDT

I have serious problems for using Markus Khun's 6x13 fixed
unicode font with linux internet browsers.

I have got both Netscape 4.08 and kfm (KDE File Manager,
that works also as html browser) installed in my linux.
They have options in menus for Unicode & UTF-8 but, before
a long weekend of fighting in that subject, neither Netscape
nor kfm allows me to select my well functioning fixed 6x13
unicode font for my html-UTF-8 pages. (I use that font in
"yudit" editor without problems)

Netscape uses something called nsPseudoFonts (what the hell
is that%@!!?) for "unicode" encoding, and the only fixed fonts
kfm allows are courier and lucidatypewriter.

It is curious that Netscape (4.5) in MS-Windows 95 does
allow *any* (truetype?) font as fixed font for "unicode"
encoding, but not in linux (Netscape 4.08).

Has anybody reached the status "managed to see unicode font
in an html browser"?

MS-Windows 95 + Bitestream Cyberbit is not useful to me,
since Cyberbit lacks of almost all unicode mathematical symbols.
How can i convert pcf fonts to MS-Windows "fon" or something
MS-Windows could understand? MS "fon" fonts are fixed fonts,
aren't they? Could "fon" fonts work with a unicode encoding?

Thank you in advance

        Ricardo Bermell-Benet