Re: Superscript asterisk

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Jun 28 1999 - 13:54:00 EDT

Ricardo asked:

> I'm trying to compose mathematical texts with Unicode symbols, and in
> the
> process of compiling useful symbols I noticed the lack of something
> like a
> SUPERSCRIPT ASTERISK or UP ASTERISK.
>
> I was expecting to find the (ASCII)
> ASTERISK (U+002A) readdressed into
> two Unicode symbols, ASTERISK OPERATOR
> (good, it is there, U+2217) and
> SUPERSCRIPT ASTERISK (non-existent?)
>
> My
> first question is: have i missed something in the Unicode symbol
> tables?

No. There is no encoded SUPERSCRIPT ASTERISK. This is because no
such character existed in any of the legacy character encodings
that were the sources of the existing compatibility superscript
and subscript characters in the Unicode Standard.

There is a very large additional set of math symbols in process now
for a future addition to the Unicode Standard, to round out the
set of symbols known to be used in mathematics. However, additional
superscript and subscript characters are not among those either.
The recommended way for math compositing software to deal with
superscripting or subscripting is via formal markup or styling.
Otherwise there would be no end to it: for example, any math italic
variable name can be used as a superscript; likewise any Greek
letter, and so on.

--Ken Whistler