problems with Arabic joining rules

From: Werner LEMBERG (sx0005@sx2.hrz.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Mon Jun 28 1999 - 18:29:09 EDT

Dear friends,

I have problems with the Arabic joining rules given on page 6-25f in
the Unicode 2.0 book

Example:

  R4 says that `a dual-joining character X that has a join-causing
  character on the right and a join-causing character on the left will
  adopt the [medial] form X_m'.

In a previous paragraph, the terms `dual-joining' and `join-causing'
are well defined, both defining classes of glyphs. But the class
`join-causing' consists basically only of TATWEEL! With other words,
R4 says that the medial form of a character appears only if on both
the left and right side is a TATWEEL character.

But this can't be true -- either I have to insert TATWEEL characters
implicitly (which isn't mentioned anywhere in the description of the
algorithm), or the term `join-causing' must be replaced with `right
join-causing' resp. `left join-causing'. This affects other rules
also.

My knowledge of Arabic is too limited to verify this. In case it is
an error, please give me a pointer where to find an updated version of
the algorithm (and mention that fact on the Errata home page). In
case I've misunderstood something, please explain how to proceed
correctly.

    Werner