Re: Superscript asterisk

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Thu Jul 01 1999 - 21:34:06 EDT

Scott,

> > The Greek characters are A-Omega and alpha-omega, plus 6 or seven
> > variant characters that tend to get used in Math.
>
> Why bother with variants? Anyone who uses, say, printed and script
> pi (rho, phi, beta, theta, kappa, epsilon, whatever) in the same text
> deserves the confusion that will inevitably result, whether the
> variants are available to him or not.

Because the AMS, MathSci TEX, STIX, and math fonts in general have consistently
made distinctions between such entities as phi and straightphi,
epsilon and straightepsilon, etc. And mathematicians may make the
distinctions. Compared to the complexity involved in contracting
a compact analytic subspace X of codimension one in the r-dimensional
complex analytic space U to a normal isolated singularity, I
think we can consider distinguishing a variable named epsilon
from some other entity named straightepsilon to be rather tame,
don't you think?

> Also, final sigma is never used in math. Nor are digamma, koppa,
> sampi, &c, unless you're preparing mathematical texts that use
> ancient Greek numeration.

We know that, and final sigma is not in the sets to be encoded.
Nor are digamma, koppa, sampi, &c.

--Ken