Re: dotless j

From: Jeroen Hellingman (jehe@kabelfoon.nl)
Date: Sun Jul 04 1999 - 12:56:54 EDT

I agree you will need a fully composed glyph, I do not agree you will need
characters for each of these. A properly designed Unicode rendering
algorithm
will automatically select the fully composed glyphs if it encounters the
sequence
j with accent ... above. If such a a glyph is not available, it will be able
to default to
a dotless j glyph with the accent correctly positioned above it. (or is it
that difficult to
shift a glyph up a little bit?). I agree you may want to have several glyphs
for the
accent: a narrower on for i, j, a bigger one for capital letters, etc....
The point is,
you will not need to give all these pre-composed glyphs their own unicode
code-point.