RE: Plain Text

From: Paul Dempsey (Exchange) (paulde@exchange.microsoft.com)
Date: Sun Jul 04 1999 - 16:56:57 EDT

> > Paul Chase Dempsey:
> > We'll have to deal with multiple untagged codepages/encodings/charsets
> > for a long time yet. It's unlikely we'll get file systems to carry any
> > meta-information beyond the filename in any portable way and certainly
> > not retroactively.
>
> Frank da Cruz
> I most emphatically recommend against using filenames for this purpose ..

I emphatically agree. I meant to say that the name is the only information
you can expect a file system to maintain apart the data in the file. I did
not mean to imply that the name should be used to encode any other
information. If I did, I would have proposed a notation.

Without a reliable means to capture the encoding external to the bits in the
file itself, I suggest the standardization of Unicode file signatures. These
are already in common use except for UTF-8, and it's useful to extend the
practice to UTF-8.

> Frank da Cruz
> Even now, there exists such a standard, albeit unwritten, for 8-bit text.
> For example, almost every word processor and web browser has a "Save as"
> option for "plain text with line breaks" which, in the general case, is
the
> only reliable interchange format. What will be the Unicode equivalent?

Exactly the same, except Unicode data intead of 8-bit MBCS data.

So let's write down the unwritten!

Regards,
--- Paul Chase Dempsey