Re: dotless j

From: Bjørn Brox (brox@corena.no)
Date: Mon Jul 05 1999 - 02:30:37 EDT

Curtis Clark wrote:
> 3. Dotless j could go in the private use area, and all the users of
> languages that required accented j could agree on where.

You find the solution for most of the themes that have been discussed
lately in the Corporate Use Sub area of unicode used by Adobe:
Sub- and superscript variants, dosless-j, mathematical symbols etc.:

    http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/typeforum/unicodegn.html
    http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/typeforum/corporateuse.txt

I am trying to use unicode internally in a system I am working with, and
have found the codes defined in the corporateuse.txt file quite useful,
- actually I have accepted the range as part of the "standard".

It is a pity that the standardizers is not interested in listening to
people that try to implement a practical use of Unicode, where for
example dotless j is really needed in rendering text, together with a
lot of the characters listed in for example Adobes list.

If you look on the road map for unicode they have spent a lot of time
filling up for example the Private Use Area with non-exsisting bullshit
like Klingon etc., instead if making room for characters that is needed
to typeset languages that exist today.
   http://www.indigo.ie/egt/standards/csur/conscript-table.html
My understanding is that the best answer you can get is: Suggest it for
Plane-1 which may be useful in a couple of years.

--
Bjørn Brox, CORENA Norge AS, http://www.corena.no, ICQ#17872043
Kirkegårdsvn. 45, P.O.Box 1024, N-3601 Kongsberg, NORWAY