Re: Devanagari

From: G. Adam Stanislav (adam@whizkidtech.net)
Date: Mon Jul 05 1999 - 15:02:54 EDT

On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 08:40:40AM -0700, Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:
> And how is this scheme to deal with reordering in Devanagari?

What's more, it does not address the problem of the merging of consecutive
characters into one glyph in Devanagari. I am talking about the horizontal
bar that connects most Devanagari characters.

For all practical purposes, every word written in Devanagari is a separate
glyph. At least if you want to stroke the word rather than fill it (to use
PostScript terminology), you somehow need to combine all characters of the
word into a single typographic unit or glyph. This gives you, theoretically,
an infinite number of glyphs.

Is this problem addressed anywhere? I have been wondering about it for years.

Adam