Re: Hebrew symbols (was Deutsche Schrift and vectors)

From: Jonathan Coxhead (jonathan@doves.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jul 05 1999 - 16:54:22 EDT

 | Hebrew is more of an issue. We cloned 3 hebrew characters, since in
 | math they do not have the same directionality as in Hebrew. If you
 | can provide us with a pointer to published (printed) material having
 | more than aleph bet gimel we might have to take a look a them.

   The Unicode standard itself contains ALEF, BET, GIMEL and DALET
symbols for use by mathematicians.

   Rather than looking for sources to establish a larger repertoire, it
seems to me that it would be a far more robust approach to seek a
general solution to the problem. For a character set that will last for
centuries, it doesn't seem right that a mathematician who one day
decides that he really needs HEBREW LETTER HE as a symbol should have
to apply to the Unicode Consortium.

   This is particularly true when the solution lies very near indeed.
If the following canonical decompositions were defined, the whole range
of Hebrew characters would instantly become available to the working
mathematician.

      ALEF SYMBOL = LEFT-TO-RIGHT OVERRIDE + HEBREW LETTER ALEF + POP
            DIRECTIONAL FORMATTING
      BET SYMBOL = LEFT-TO-RIGHT OVERRIDE + HEBREW LETTER BET + POP
            DIRECTIONAL FORMATTING
      GIMEL SYMBOL = LEFT-TO-RIGHT OVERRIDE + HEBREW LETTER GIMEL + POP
            DIRECTIONAL FORMATTING
      DALET SYMBOL = LEFT-TO-RIGHT OVERRIDE + HEBREW LETTER DALET + POP
            DIRECTIONAL FORMATTING

   Now the mathematician who wishes there were a HE SYMBOL can just use
LEFT-TO-RIGHT OVERRIDE, HEBREW LETTER HE, POP DIRECTIONAL FORMATTING.
This is exactly the sort of thing mathematicians do all the time!

   I think the Unicode Standard could gain a lot of flexibility---and
lose a lot of conceptual size---if many more characters were given
decompositions.

        /|
 o o o (_|/
        /|