Re: Plain Text

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Mon Jul 05 1999 - 14:09:29 EDT

Am 1999-07-01 um 13:00 h hat Otto Stolz geschrieben:
> In MS-DOS (or PC-DOS and other DOS variants) on the PC, it is not
> well defined, at all: [...]
> - '09'x (HT) means either a tabulator [...] or a line-break,

I am no more sure about the HT used as a line-break in plain text.
It is indeed used in an internal Word-format (Word 2.0 for DOS, and
perhaps in later versions) for this purpose, but I haven't kept an
old Word implementation, so I cannot check Word's input conversion
from plain text to this format.

Current Word for Windows input conversions from plain text
interpret some C0 characters thus (checked with Word 97):
  '09'x (TAB) tabulator
  '0A'x (LF) paragraph break
  '0B'x (VT) line break
  '0C'x (FF) page break
  '0D'x (CR) ignored
  '0E'x (SO) [sic!] column break

Still, my main point holds: In MS-DOS, plain text is not well defined,
as there are wide variations in the usage and meaning of several controll
characters.

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz