Re: dotless j

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Tue Jul 06 1999 - 10:33:21 EDT

Marion Gunn wrote:

> > Right now we have a mixed system: Unicode is open to accepting
> > characters from anyone who can prove something is a character,
> > but apparently accepts glyphs from those with enough clout, e.g.,
>
> Apparently.

Unicode was at one time open to the backward-compatibility argument,
but Unicode 3.0 is the last hurrah of that viewpoint, except for
a few random characters from obscure-but-standardized character
sets that still may need in.

> > Zapf Dingbats, or certain geometric shapes but not others. The
> > situation is made more complicated with TrueType expecting a
> > one-on-one mapping of glyphs to characters.
> >
> > Just my humble opinion.
> >

> With which I agree.

So much the worse for TrueType, and such a viewpoint plainly
will not handle decent Indic anyway (in either ISCII or Unicode), so
it will have to give way if it has not already done so.

   Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! / Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau,
   Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau / Und trank die Milch vom Paradies.
			-- Coleridge / Politzer