Re: dotless j

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Tue Jul 06 1999 - 14:12:07 EDT

James E. Agenbroad wrote:

> A similar situation arises when Arabic script is used to write Malay.
> Unicode(tm) character U=06BD has three dots above it in alone and final
> contexts, but the three dots go below in initial and medial position.

Not similar enough, IMHO, since nobody treats Arabic diacritic dots (not
vowels, but modifier dots) as combining characters, do they?
We need a case where the choice of base character determines
something gross (not just size or exact positioning) about the
diacritic.

   Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! / Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau,
   Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau / Und trank die Milch vom Paradies.
			-- Coleridge / Politzer