Re: Plain Text

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Tue Jul 06 1999 - 22:54:43 EDT

Kenneth Whistler scripsit:

> > So at minimum, a text file should be tagged according to character set.
>
> Whoa! Wait a minute. How do we get from here to there?
>
> If it's tagged, it's not a *plain* text file, but something else.

I believe the reference was to file metadata like the application
tag on the Mac, rather than to anything in-band.

> The rest of this discussion is about something else other than what
> the Unicode Standard means by "plain text", and has, as far as I can
> tell, more to do with devising a kind of a lowest common denominator
> document format standard for interoperability. While people on this list
> may find that interesting to discuss, it is rather orthogonal to the
> intended scope of the Unicode Standard.

Just so. Historically, such document have been called "plain text"
documents. What Unicode means by "plain text" is simply a
stream of characters.

       I am a member of a civilization. --David Brin