Re: The Atomic Theory of Unicode

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Wed Jul 07 1999 - 16:18:32 EDT

Here are a few points in the "Atomic Theory of Unicode" that I
believe to be based on erroneous assumptions.
Later I will post my views on the document as a whole.

1. The term <small> in the compatibility decomposition does
*not* indicate a halfwidth form, but rather a fullwidth form
in which the "dark" part of the glyph is small. Thus A
means a normal A in a halfwidth cell, <wide> A means a large A in a
fullwidth cell, and <small> A means a normal A centered in a
fullwidth cell. <small> should therefore be rendered by a
sequence of PRESENTATION SUGGESTION FULLWIDTH and PRESENTATION
SUGGESTION SMALL.

2. The archaic Cyrillic letters with IOTIFIED in their names
are not quasi-ligatures with PALOCHKA, but with
UKRAINIAN-BYELORUSSIAN I, as their names indicate.

--
	John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan	cowan@ccil.org
Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! / Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau,