Re: dotless j

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@pantheon.yale.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 08 1999 - 22:50:15 EDT

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Edward Cherlin wrote:

> I am a great believer in not multiplying entities beyond necessity, one of
> the later formulations of Ockham's suggestion. No, after 11,172 Johab
> glyphs were promoted to characters, what's one or two, or three, or ...How

   What do you think adding 11,172 Hangul *syllables* into Unicode 2.0
has to do with what you're talking about, namely glyph (variants) vs
character? You're mixing up totally different two issues here: glyph
(variants) vs characters and pre-composed characters vs their
components. Allocating 11,172 spots for a single script is
controversial. However, NOT for the reason you cited here.

     Jungshik Shin