Re: currency symbols Rupee-International

From: AvaFonts@aol.com
Date: Sat Jul 10 1999 - 19:23:47 EDT

This is a copy of a mail sent to another forum,
<<<
Rupee can be an **INDIAN** character code .......

Anbu Nagu,
What I wish to propose is an international Rupee symbol, including Indian,
Indonesian, Sri Lankan, Eeelam, etc.. A common symbol for evryone. If
necessary a dual approach could be adopted, for example A Tamil form of Rupee
symbol and an International Standard Rupee symbol could co-exist. Similarly
within India a Gujarati form or Bengoli form etc.. could co-exist with the
international standard.

Currently in some circles the symbol "Rs/=" is used in the international
arena. Hence answering to Maniam's mail, TN representatives could takeup this
two/dual form of representation with the consortium, while we may
indipendently approach the consortium for the inclusion of international
Rupee symbol. Please refer to my earlier mail for the proposed Rupee and
Cents symbol.

We have a peculier situation here. Denominating Indian Rupees, Indonesian
Rupees, etc.. and then representing denominations in Punjabi form, Orian form
etc.. This multiple choises need looking into.

Our request to consortium can be treated as two seperate issues.

1/ Allocate two code positions for International Rupee and Cents symbol.
2/ Establish the International Rupee and cent symbols as standard.

(Note: A copy of this mail is being posted to Unicode Forum)

Thanks
Sinnathurai Srivas