Re: MIME text/plain (was Re: Plain Text)

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@pantheon.yale.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 11 1999 - 12:13:45 EDT

> At 07:23 -0700 7/6/1999, John Cowan wrote:
> [snip]
> >The corresponding MIME type is "text/plain; charset=utf-8" or
> >"... utf-16".
> >
> >Anything else should have a different MIME type or at least
> >different parameters.

  Can I propose that everyone on this mailing list stop sending messages
in "pre-Unicode" encodings(like ISO-8859-1) and begin sending her/his
messages with non-US-ASCII characters in UTF-8(well, US-ASCII only
message also qualifies for UTF-8 as everybody knows)? Isn't it funny
that people on the Unicode mailing list send messages in "legacy"
encodings like ISO-8859-1(by far the most frequently used encoding in
the list which is not UTF-8 other than US-ASCII which can be labelled as
UTF-8)? I know this will for sure lead to some inconveniences for some
people(perhaps quite many of us), but aren't we suppose to be an exampla
case in promoting as rapid and wide adoption of Unicode as possible?

    Jungshik Shin