Re: http://www.reuters.com/unicode/iuc10/x-utf8.html

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Mon Jul 12 1999 - 15:18:20 EDT

Gabe Bokor has written:
> While your page provides the answer to my question in theory,

Add a doctype declaration to the theory,
cf. <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html#h-7.2>

You may also wish to read other parts of the HTML 4.0 specification,
and hints for HTML authors:
  <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/>
  <http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/#Current_Draft>
and to test your HTML source against pertinent validation services:
  <http://validator.w3.org/>
  <http://www.cast.org/bobby/>

> I still don't know how to generate those Unicode pages in a regular word
> processor.

I have tried the HTML assistants from two Word versions (with German texts
in CP 1252), and both of them have generated absolutely inacceptable
HTML versions. Inacceptable meaning: containing blatant HTML syntax errors
and a pletora of proprietary Microsoft features. Hence, I advice you *not*
to let Word generate the HTML source. I haven't tried any other word
processor, though.

You could edit your HTML source with UniEdit and store it in UTF-8,
cf. <http://www.lang.duke.edu/uniintro.htm>.

You may wish to try Tango Creator, the Unicode-capable HTML editor from
Alis, (which I haven't yet),
cf. <http://www.alis.com/internet_products/creator/creator.html>.

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz