Re: Dotless j found in Finland

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Wed Jul 14 1999 - 06:08:47 EDT

Ar 12:44 -0700 1999-07-13, scríobh Kenneth Whistler:
>Michael,
>
>So far, I have to concur with Rick. The cursive i's (w/o dots) in the row
>right above the cursive j's kill your example.

I don't think that is necessarily so. I need to see the rest of the source
book, but it appears to me that the first two columns are a different
transcription system and the third column is the Landsmålsalfabet.

>Claiming this as evidence for a dotless-j as a character distinct
>from a j would be like digging through German handwriting and
>then claiming that u with a breve mark was distinct from u
>(in that context). Whereas, what you need is examples that show
>the *contrast* of u versus u-breve in the *same* context.

I'm, uh, well aware of the requirements. This certainly could be a dotless
j, however. It seems to me that the example itself would require lots of
new entities to be encoded were it to be representable in UCS. Of course
research on the Landsmålsalfabet must take place first.

--
Michael Everson * Everson Gunn Teoranta * http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478 2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478 2597 (by arrangement)