Re: Mongolian script and Uyghur

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Wed Jul 14 1999 - 17:52:21 EDT

Tim Partridge asked:

> Can anyone tell me if the new Mongolian addition in version 3.0 is intended
> for use in writing Uyghur? (Or Uyghur as written in 7th and 8th centuries -
> it seems to have had many scripts.)

The answer is no. It is intended to cover Todo, Sibe, and Manchu, as well
as modern Mongolian proper, and has extensions for the writing of Sanskrit
and Tibetan texts in the Mongolian script. But the Uighur script per se is
slated for separate encoding on Plane 1. (That is, of course, distinct from
the use of the Arabic script to write the modern Uighur language.)

If, when the Uighur script itself is investigated in detail, it turns
out that a better case could be made for unifying it with the already-encoded
Mongolian script, that bridge would be crossed later.

> The reason I ask is that in "The World's Writing Systems", Ed Daniels &
> Bright it says "At the very beginning of the Mongol empire, the Uyghur
> alphabet became the writing system of the Mongols... The whole set of
> symbols together with the orthography was borrowed, and for several
> centuries no new letters were created..." (page 545).
>
> If it is likely to be put to use for Uyghur I have an erratum for the
> Unicode properties database.

Please contact me separately with what you have in mind.

--Ken